New Piano Mag

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Thu, 03 Oct 1996 18:45:52 +0100

Thought the list my find this useful

Barrie

Note from the Editor:

I'd like to take this opportunity to welcome you to the new Piano
Tuner's Quarterly.
With your help, this will be a world wide magazine dedicated to piano
tuning,
and all of its intricacies.

This will be your magazine, it's you the readers who will make it into a
memorable publication.
With your help, we can support one another in the slightly turbulent
world of our profession.
I will be calling upon the resources of the internet, publications, and
the piano literature to broaden the scope of this magazine as well as
all of you reading this publication.
I welcome any and all submissions.
I am looking for regular features from technitians, and other interested
parties from over seas.
We will also be carrying interested trade advertisements. Thus, for
example, we will hopefully be able to keep abreast of the most recent
tools, and piano accessories.
Once the lines of communications have been set up, this should become a
regular feature.

One point I wish to make here, and now.

The magazine
will remain an independent forum for all tuner-technicians World Wide.
This is, and will continue to be editorial policy.
However, I do welcome announcements of import by all relevant
organisations.
But, I will not allow this to be a sounding board for
inter-organisational politics.
However, this magazine I see as a sounding board for issues as regards
piano technology as a hole.

I am pleased to be able to tell you that all submissions will be
compensated and paid for by the R.N.I.B.
We will be paying for articles at the rate of #3.00 per hundred words.
So, now's your chance to make the big time.
Keep the articles coming in, and you can augment that tuning fee which
if you are anything like me is stretched to the limit.

Of course, editorial policy rests with me, if you don't like something,
let me know. If I don't know that you are unhappy about a policy, then
the unhappiness may continue.

This issue.

As I type this, I am feeling my way, so the issue will be for a while
on-going, until it starts to solidify.
There will be a section on material taken from the internet's piano
resources, articles cribbed from the piano technitians mailing list, and
articles from individuals who submit items to this publication.
This will be called "casting the net.

Richard Foster has kindly offered to revive a tradition that grew up
before my time here, "From a Tuners' Diary."
This will be a mixed bag of philosophy, experience, and personal
opinion.

There will be a dealers column as well as announcements of pending
musical and trade events.
I also hope to have a "Hints and tricks section for useful ways of
dealing with problems in our daily work.
This is where you all can help.
Send me your items of useful things to get you out of a jam.
Here's the formal structure of the magazine as I have sent it to the
R.N.I.B.
Of course, this won't be set in concrete, and will be adjusted as the
magazine moves along.

Structure of the magazine.

Note from the editor:
>From A Tuner's Diary
(feature by Richard Foster probably regular)
Casting the Net
(items gleaned from the internet)
Resonances
(the letters page)
Dealers' corner
(items from the piano trade where available)
Hands across the Water
(items from over seas)
Calendar
(announcements from interested organizations)

Magazine format availability.

At this time, we are hoping to produce this magazine in the following
formats:
braille, tape, computerdisk, large print, and as an archive on the
internet available through the ABPT web page.

So, who's this guy anyway.

You may tell by my accent that I come from the other side of the pond. I
have been here for some ten years working in Kidderminster tuning pianos
in the shires.
I first met this publication in 1974, when I came here on a visit and
was taking a
a course in the States at Perkins School for the Blind. at that time I
found the P.T.Q then an invaluable resource, and got to admire the work
of Alec LeFeuvre, the then editor. Hopefully, this version will keep to
the same traditions. Feel free to contact me with submissions at the
address and other contact possibilities below.

Henry brugsch
17 Kent Close
Kidderminster
Worcs.
DY10 1NS
phone: 01562820090
email: hbj@enterprise.net

henry Brugsch www.airtime.co.uk/forte/brugsch.htm
hbj@enterprise.net

--

Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
The UK PIano Page                              |