overbooked

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Wed, 02 Oct 1996 17:11:28 +0000

> Date:          Tue, 01 Oct 1996 12:26:16 -0400
> From:          JIMRPT@aol.com
> Subject:       Re: overbooked
> To:            pianotech@byu.edu

Jim & Wim,

Many of us in the San Francisco Chapter cover for each other
when ever the need arises.  What works well if it is a commercial
account like a hotel, restaurant or church, is the technician
coming to the rescue bills the other technician, who in turn bills his
customer for the work done.  This way the customer still considers the
work is being done by their regular piano technician.  He keeps
the account but makes no money.

> Wim;
>   In my business class I address this problem with a section dealing with
> alliances. We should all have someone to work with in these types of
> situations, someone we can trade favors with when we get stuck like you did
> here. This must work 'both' ways and we need to make sure that we, in turn,
> go out of our way to accomodate a request for assistance from this person
> (s).
>   It does not seem to make good business sense to work to build up our
> business over the years and let one symphony performance cause us to lose
> what is a very good source of income. Lets suppose that you have lost this
> church from your client list, how many new customers will you have to acquire
> in order to make up for this one church?
>     Wim, in my opinion, it is always best to specifically suggest someone
> else to call when you cannot make the service call as requested. If the
> customer is a good one I will make every effort to accomodate them and in
> most cases will make the arrangements to have another tech do the service
> call for them.
>
>  If you have a working arrangement with other techs in your area don't fail
> to use them as needed. If you, or others on the list, don't have such an
> arrangement I strongly urge you to establish one as soon as possible. The
> benefits from the combination is well worthwhile and might lead to more
> avenues of opportunity than you could dream alone. If you are a member of PTG
> use a chapter member in this networking. If you are not a member of PTG, find
> someone with whom you can work  comfortably and feel good about recommending
> to do the emergency calls you can't get to; perhaps a member of the local PTG
> Chapter.
> Just my thoughts on your question Wim.
> Jim Bryant (FL)

David ilvedson, RPT