Cross-country piano move

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Tue, 01 Oct 1996 19:06:23 -0500 (CDT)

>Now, the question:  A professor here at Wheaton College is going to
>receive his parent's Baldwin L, which is located in Denver, CO.  Outside
>of the usual shipping precautions, does he need to worry about what the
>change of climate is going to do to this instrument, coming to Chicago?
>The piano is only ten years old.  I told him that I did not believe that
>there would be any problems, other than seasonal tuning changes, due to
>our mild ;> weather.
>
>Thanks,
>Al Zajicek RPT

Al, List,

Any geographical change is going to affect an instrument to some extent.
The piano will go through a process of acclimation.  What the process of
acclimation will entail remains to be seen until the piano is relocated.

One customer I have moved from California here to Oklahoma, reported never
having a sticking or sluggish key problem, only to have the majority of
center pins seize up during Oklahoma's high humidity times.  A Dampp-Chaser
de-humidifier rod returns the piano to a playing condition during these
times like magic.

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
kam544@ionet.net
Oklahoma Chapter 731