grand plate flanges...

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Thu, 28 Nov 1996 07:41:18 -0700 (MST)

Joel and Priscilla:

I tho't I'd jump in and answer this one.

When a plate has been designed, a wooden pattern (often solid mahogony) is
prepared using a shrink rule (1/8 inch per foot larger than normal).
This pattern is mounted to a follow board (heavy platform). A rectangular
flask (like a heavy formed steel band) is placed on top of the board.  This
flask is about 12 inches high all the way around. There is a steel
reinforcing grid across the top of the flask which holds the sides rigidly.
A powdery releasing compound is lightly dusted over the entire follow
board and the pattern.

Sand is poured down thru the grid to completely cover the pattern.  Workers
standing on top of the grid begin ramming the sand tightly around the pattern
and solid upon the follow board. Jack hammers and ramming rods are used.

This sand is a special mixture of sand, bentonite, molasses and perhaps other
ingredients which make the sand stick together when compacted.

There a flask which holds the molded sand for the shape of the top side of
the plate pattern and then another flask which holds the molded sand for the
shape of the bottom side of the plate pattern (like the horn, bosses, etc.).

These two flasks are called the cope and the drag.  When they are lifted
off of the pattern, the draft angle is important to avoid any sand being
accidently dislodged and falling down from the flask which holds
the reverse shape of the pattern.  The cope side has little sprue holes
carved into the sand to allow pouring in the white hot metal mix when
the cope and drag are mated together.  When they are mated together, there
is a piano plate shaped space between the cope and the drag.  The
sprue hole are placed so that all parts of the cavity between the cope
and drag are completely filled and running over.  After the metal cools
sufficiently, the flasks are removed, or the sand is shaken out.  The sand
usually goes onto conveyor belts which takes it up to be renewed and
processed for use in some future casting.  The plate is then shot peened,
sent for curing, then ground down at rough edges, and then drilled.  If any
sand had fallen into the cavity before pouring, it would have ruined the
plate.  Hence, the need for good draft angle.  the foundry would
really like 4 to 7 degrees draft angle to help avoid cave-ins.

Jim Coleman, Sr.