Pin Block Treatment

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Wed, 27 Nov 1996 20:01:30 +0000

> Date:          Sun, 24 Nov 1996 00:36:49 -0700
> From:          Sy Zabrocki <only4zab@imt.net>
> Subject:       Pin Block Treatment
> To:            'Pianotech' <pianotech@byu.edu>
> Cc:            'Sy Zabrocki' <only4zab@imt.net>

List,

As I understand it, "dope" only really gets to the first layer
of the pinblock.  In that case it really isn't much of a repair.
As I say that, of course there is always a situation where it
might be used.  An old upright where the cost of a new pinblock
s much more than the repair.  I feel "dope" is just another tool
at our disposal, but the "real repair" of a new pinblock should
at least be in the discussion with the customer.

> >From Sy Zabrocki--Billings, Montana
>
> Ken Hale replied to a message pertaining to Ice Cream Spill (Nov. 23). He said the following:
>
> For you "newbies" to our trade, glycerine is the main ingredient of the
> infamous liquid tuning pin "tightener" still sold by some of the supply
> houses, which turns pin block wood into mush and causes terminal rust to
> any wire it touches.  Believe me, ignoring the problem is more
> responsible than using that stuff!
>
> With all due respect Ken, that statement is just upside down from what I have experienced in 38 years. There has been continual negative remarks about the pin block treatment for years. Some one has
> to brave enough (or stupid enough) to act as advocate for this procedure.
>
> Loose tuning pins is a negative condition and the treatment is an undesireable procedure but it absolutely, positively does work. I doesn't work all the time. With experience you learn which pianos
> ualify for the treatment. It hardly ever fails for me. I use the treatment when the pins are just creeping and often set the pins along with the treatment. How do you know when the pins are creeping
>  You know by the strings which are more out of tune since the last tuning. You sense the feel of hardness in the block when test driving a pin.
>
> Ken's statement says "the block turns to mush." How can I live with that statement when in all these years I just haven't seen it happen. How many years does it take for this mush to happen? If this
> is really true then I've mushed a mess of them. (My God, what have I done.) Oh well, they would all be in the land fill anyway.
>
> There might be one important difference that could cause such a wide difference of opinion. In Montana we have what I call "dry pianos." The pins can be slightly loose but the block is still hard. "
> et pianos" have been subjected to high moisture for years and the block is already mushy. Naturally the treatment works better on the hard block. If you live in a humid region then your results woul
>  be consistently poor, which would cause all this negative attitude.
>
> Ken's paragragh states the treatment causes "terminal rust." Again, I just haven't seen this to be true. I have seen in some cases a black sticky substance around the pins, but is that a problem if
> he pins are holding. What are we going to do with all these average pianos with this problem? Surely very few will be re-strung. Do we refuse to treatment them because we are too proud to use this p
> ocedure? Are we afraid that someone will find out? Not me. Time and time again I've gotten 10 to 15 years more out of a normally good piano. If the block is still hard you can even re-string after t
> e treatment.
>
> I could go on for pages on how I do the treatment but this message is already getting long. For now I'll just say I use only Garfield Restorer. It is applied with a needle spout and only a few drops
> [...]
ilvey, RPT
Pacifica, CA