Silicone spray dilemma-conclusion

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Mon, 25 Nov 1996 20:23:16 -0600 (CST)

>Dear List,
>
>I trust I will explain a most unique situation in my experience.
>
>I have a new customer who says a technician used silicone spray on the
>keyframe pins and capstans in her Steinway B.  However, her story is that
>she requested this not be done.  So now, approximately six months later,
>this customer wants to remove as much of the silicone product from her
>piano as possible, and I have been chosen to assist in doing this.
>
>It doesn't visibly appear to have caused any damage the piano in any way.
>However, it has harmed the customer's perception of piano service and the
>originality of this instrument because the customer was informed many
>years ago by a now deceased tuner to never let anyone use silicone on a
>piano.  Hence, the customer wants to try and undo what has been done if
>possible.
>
>The name of the silicone product is "Pyroil Multi Purpose Lubricant" by
>Valvoline.
>
>If anyone on Pianotech can advise me of a method, if one exists, or a
>source for a method, to accomplish this project, please contact me.

Dear List,

=46irst off, thanks to all who contributed on and off Pianotech.  I made a
digest of the comments without names or addresses for the customer to read
along with my own opinions.  The following summary is an account of what
ultimately happened to satisfy this particular customer.

I removed the "innards" from the piano, removed the action stack, and
removed the keys so the customer had complete access to the keyframe.  This
customer chose to wipe each individual key pin, the entire keyframe, and
each individual key and its related parts, with a soft cotton cloth.
That's it!

I left for two days while this process took place.  I then returned and put
everything back together.  This customer felt the distressed situation was
satisfied as a result of their effort.  End of story.

Thank you once again for responding as you did.

Sincerely,

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician