Grand Carriage

Brent.Fischer@asu.edu Brent.Fischer@asu.edu
Sun, 24 Nov 1996 21:11:53 -0700

Dear Don and list:

    The Yamaha casters are not quite different as you have described
in your response and the sockets are not very large. Yes, they are
larger but can be accomadated. Have you installed these yourself?

    Rick Florence and I surely pondered the height problems and discovered
that because the Yamaha caster is not as large as the Hamburg it can
indeed be installed in a New York leg without a problem. If I recall
it was less that an inch that we cut off the legs to keep the same
keybed and pedal distance from the floor.  As long as the rolling
distance is not prohibitive the brass casters are the way to go.

    For transportation problems around campus just invest in one of
the grand transporters from Jansen and company. It pays for itself
in just one move.  The last issue with this particular retrofit has
to do with lockdown.  Take the Yamaha casters to a machine shop to
fit in thumbscrews for locking the wheels.

    It just happened we had a set of Yamaha casters at our disposal so
they were chosen based on availability, there may be others that fit as
well. However, you have our word that this works and saves a couple of
thousand bucks by not going with Hamburg legs.

Brent.Fischer@ASU.EDU
Arizona State University/Tempe