Yamaha replacement keys

oorebeek oorebeek@euronet.nl
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 09:39:22 +0200

Andr=E9 writes:
Hello David, I have replaced an awful lot of Yamaha keyboards because =
I work free lance for Yamaha in the Netherlands.
I can be brief for the moment (if a more detailed story is needed, =
tell me):
Replacement of the C7 keyboard id not an easy one because of the =
length of the keys.
You must take into account the measure Yamaha gives for key height =
(from the table to the underside of the key covering (Ivorite), this =
is 64 mm.
If you want to do a perfect job, it means taking a long time for the =
keyboard, a long time for regulation plus a complete tuning and =
voicing.
A Yamaha C7 takes me about 5-6 hours. This includes total! =
regulation, tuning, filing hammers (with the shoe shine technique) =
and complete voicing.
Don't underestimate the downbearing weight and regulation of the key =
frame, and do not forget the backchecks. It is a lot of work, but fun.

David writes:

>Dear List,
>
>I am going to replace a set of keys in a Yamaha C7 in a couple
>of weeks.  This is Yamaha's preferred method of replacing
>the first generation of Ivorite keytops that have yellowed.  My
>request is for any advice on what I will run into in this
>procedure as it is my first.  My likely order of work will be:
>#1 Take a lot of measurements of original keys and action such
>      key height, dip, height of key lifter felts, blow distance,
>      checking distance etc. and record them
>#2  Remove stack and install new keys #1 & #88 and reinstall
>      stack.  Check for major changes in key height, damper lift etc..
>#3  Remove stack again and keys.  Clean and polish keypins
>#4  Install keys, easing etc.
>#5  Rough regulate hammer shanks off rest rail if this has changed
>#6  Fine regulate key level to specs taken
>#7  Rough regulate blow distance and backchecks
>#8  Rough regulate dip
>#9  Fine regulate damper lift with key and pedal
>#10  Go through and fine regulate action
>
>Question?  I don't think this will effect most regulation other
>than dip, key height, backchecks and damper lift.  Is this
>right?
>
>Question?  How long has this taken other technicians who have
>replaced a Yamaha keyboard?  I'm figuring 5 to 6 hours...
>
>ilvey, RPT
>Pacifica, CA

friendly greetings from:

Andr=E9 Oorebeek