Yamaha replacement keys

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Thu, 21 Nov 1996 21:46:03 +0000

Dear List,

I am going to replace a set of keys in a Yamaha C7 in a couple
of weeks.  This is Yamaha's preferred method of replacing
the first generation of Ivorite keytops that have yellowed.  My
request is for any advice on what I will run into in this
procedure as it is my first.  My likely order of work will be:
#1 Take a lot of measurements of original keys and action such
      key height, dip, height of key lifter felts, blow distance,
      checking distance etc. and record them
#2  Remove stack and install new keys #1 & #88 and reinstall
      stack.  Check for major changes in key height, damper lift etc..
#3  Remove stack again and keys.  Clean and polish keypins
#4  Install keys, easing etc.
#5  Rough regulate hammer shanks off rest rail if this has changed
#6  Fine regulate key level to specs taken
#7  Rough regulate blow distance and backchecks
#8  Rough regulate dip
#9  Fine regulate damper lift with key and pedal
#10  Go through and fine regulate action

Question?  I don't think this will effect most regulation other
than dip, key height, backchecks and damper lift.  Is this
right?

Question?  How long has this taken other technicians who have
replaced a Yamaha keyboard?  I'm figuring 5 to 6 hours...

ilvey, RPT
Pacifica, CA