Ivory keytops

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Thu, 21 Nov 1996 21:49:42 -0500

Gregg;
Yes, I use wafers whenever possible. Most of my work now is shop work but I
have tried most of the methods discussed in a pinch. My preferred method of
ivory replacement/repair is wafers when the time and circumstance permit.
RE: ivories with loose fronts, say the first third of the key is loose, can
be repaired very easily.  Again this method is best for shop work. If the key
front is not discolored under the ivory all that needs to be done is to work
a little warm water under the ivory. Using a small pice of plywood (flat) or
a key plate clamp down with a small spring clamp set it aside and leave it
alone. After about six hours ( I usually wait overnight) you can take the
clamp off and do whatever you want to with the key.  I have used this method
for years and have not ever had a callback that I can remember.
Hope this helps.
Jim Bryant (FL)