Ethics on a "Wim"

Warren D. Fisher fish@communique.net
Mon, 18 Nov 1996 22:19:10 -0800

David ilvedson wrote:

> > Date:          Sun, 17 Nov 1996 07:24:05 -0500
> > From:          A440A@aol.com
> > Subject:       Ethics on a "Wim"
> > To:            pianotech@byu.edu
>
> > Del Gittinger writes;
> >
> > >  I can't justify charging different fees to separate
> > >customers for different work.
> >
> > and also;
> >
> > >I'd feel ripped off if  I was charged $100 for something my brother got for
> > >$75.00  and if I got the low price I'd question the integrity of the
> > >technician and/or their skill and/or the quality of the service that I
> > >received.
> >

> Ed,
>
> I tell my new customers the very same thing.  I don't know if I will
> have to pitch raise etc. so I give them a range...normal to
> worse case scenerio.  My fees are based are around the first
> hour and each hour following.  The first hour is more expensive
> to include travel time.  I have no problems except for the
> shoppers and I don't certainly don't run my business around
> them.  I have always felt that any business has customers
> looking for the low end and customers looking for the high end.
> I don't worry about the low end...
>
> ilvey, RPT
> > Must we expect all jobs to take the same amount of effort?
> >
> >       If we are to charge one price for "tuning" a piano , isn't the price
> > set for the "average" amount of work done?  If so,  those customers with more
> > difficult pianos get a little extra for their money, and those whose pianos
> > tune like silk are having less work done for the same price. Is somebody
> > being cheated here?
> >
> >      My point is,  having a fixed price assumes a fixed job,  and most pianos
> > are different.  To end up with the same result, ( in tune, at pitch), on
> > different pianos,  requires different amounts of work.  Why should one not
> > charge different prices?
> >      Is it the fear of the perception of unfairness?  This is a poor
> > rationale for making business decisions, IMHO.  If you are doing clean,
> > dependable work,  and  pricing it honestly,  you will build a customer base
> > that will trust you,  and differing prices will have no effect.  If you are
> > competing for the customer that considers price first/quality second, and
> > this forces you to fix your price to an unchanging rate,  either the work or
> > your time will be compromised on the difficult tunings.
> >      It is perhaps not a paradigm of salesmanship to quote prices on a  "not
> > less than" basis,  but that is what my first time customers hear.  I charge
> > more to tune a difficult piano because it takes more time,  and my time is
> > all I have to sell.
> >
> > .02c there..............keep the change
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ed Foote

Fisher, RPT

I would think that the hourly rate would be fine for customers with
which  you have a long standing relationship,but for new customers who
have just been referred to you, I think a basic fee should be quoted
that covers the worst case piano you can remember tuning and give you a
fair hourly rate of income for that piano and a better than fair amount
for good pianos, and then make the statement "but this does not cover
repairs or major pitch adjustments."  If they press you for prices for
these items, say that you must really see the piano to make realistic
recommendations.  This way they know up front that they will pay more
for a basket case, and "shoppers" will look elsewhere for what they
think they need!  Protect yourself on hourly income. There are a lot of
bad situations out there.  Consistantly charge enough to offset these
situations. If your customers trust you, the brother will realize that
you are charging the brother more because his piano required more work!

Warren