Silicone spray dilemma

Clark A. Foerster clark@thegrid.net
Sat, 16 Nov 1996 21:04:31 -0800 (PST)

I would not be concerned about silicone in the action.

In my experience silicone can make refinishing a piano more challenging but
even that is not impossible.  I have a fellow piano technician friend who
recently mixed up a batch of the wurlitzer/baldwin silicone oil with vmp
naptha.  A couple days after this he discovered, to his horror, that his
assistant had "washed" down an entire stripped piano with this solution in
preparation for refinishing.  He told me he washed the case again with pure
naptha, shot the lacquer with fish-eye eliminator, and was surprised to
find that the finish turned out great. He is convinced that the huge scare
about silicone and pianos is completely overblown.

Clark Foerster RPT