spousal tuning...??

Dean Thomas deanthom@pcms.com
Sat, 16 Nov 1996 13:12:10 -0800

CRANE@TWSUVM.UC.TWSU.EDU wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I am writing at the "request" (she is standing over my sholder) of my
> spouse.
>
> She wishes any advise on effective ways to get her piano tuned by the
> resident technician.  Seems she has had to wait an inordinatly long time
> for "someone" to get around to it and is at wits end.
>
> Am *I* the only one who has difficulty scheduling this particular
> appointment??

Hi back to both Alan and Mrs. Alan, and welcome to the wonderful world of CKS
(Cobbler's Kid Syndrome)!

Remember that the proverb was that the cobbler's kids never had shoes. The
minister's families frequently are deprived of his/her presence because s/he
has to also care for the other sheep, the other family or the church (the
other spouse!).

Best way is to grab hold of the appointment book and write it in. If you can
find a day that is habitually slow, schedule it on that day. And while you're
at it, you can schedule a lunch date, too, building up the relationship. It
is also the same with planning for a vacation. Schedule it, plan for it, make
the time commitment sacred and DO IT!!

The analogy that was given me a long time ago had to do with someone sharing
about time management. She reached under the podium and pulled up a class jar
and a basket of fist sized rocks. She worked with several people until they
had the most possible rocks in the wide-mouthed jar. She asked the assemblage
if the jar was as full as we could get it and the answer was a resounding
"YES!" She smiled, reached under the podium again and pulled out some smaller
gravelly type rocks. She poured and shook until no more nooks or crannies
were visible, and once more asked if it was as full as we could get it. There
were only a few who verbalized a reluctant "I think so". She smiled again,
reached under and pulled out a pitcher of sand. Same process and asked again.
The answer was plain when she asked and the answer was again resounding, but
"NO!" They finally got the idea. She smiled, nodded and pulled out a pitcher
of water and filled every single space with water. All agreed that the jar
was now full. She asked if we understood the point. One brave soul stood and
said, "There is always room for more stuff!!!" You could see her just hit her
forehead with the palm of her hand. "NO! The point is that if you want to get
the big rocks in, you have to put them in first!"

Blessings
--
Dean Thomas
ZionFire & Thomas Piano Service