Ethics on a "Wim"

Gittinger, Delbert M. delgit@acc-net.com
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 10:00:21 -0500

----------
> From: Wimblees@aol.com

> Which brings me to Ron T. I want to ask him how he explains his prices to
his
> customers. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be the highest priced
tuner
> in town, but how do you explain to one customer, whom you charged $100 to
> tune the piano, and only $75 to tune her sister's piano, why there is a
> difference in price. (presuming you only tuned the piano, of course). I
am
> not trying to get you, nor everyone else, to charge the same, nor am I
trying
> to tell everyone how much they should charge. As Tom Cole said, it should
be
> your own personal ethics that dictates how you should charge your
customers.
> As i said, if you can live with yourself charging different rates to
> different customer, go for it. It's just not my cup of tea.

Willem,

Well said.  I've worked on the "Do unto others the way you want done unto"
rule for 25 years.  I can't justify charging different fees to separate
customers for different work.  Sooner or later it'll catch up with you
(i.e. the sisters, cousins, classmates, etc.)

I'd feel ripped off if  I was charged $100 for something my brother got for
$75.00  and if I got the low price I'd question the integrity of the
technician and/or their skill and/or the quality of the service that I
received.

Del Gittinger, RPT
Registered Piano Technician
of the Piano Technicians Guild