Is a crutch a tool?

Sy Zabrocki only4zab@imt.net
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 22:39:36 -0700

>From Sy--Not to Pianotech

The debate on aural tuning and electronic tuning continues. Years ago =
this topic was actually settled at convention classes conducted by Jim =
Coleman and George Defebaugh. For years Jim would tune with SOT or SAT =
and George would tune aurally. It was proven the result was the same. Of =
course the aural tuner had to be good.=20

I use the SAT daily but stiltune unisons by ear. Also tune the bass by =
year. It bugs me when the aural tuners get up tight when SAT tuning =
topics are discussed. Yet before I bought a SAT in 1990 I also was =
critical of electronic tuning. I asked Ceasar L. several times why he =
used the Sight-O-Tuner. I never once found any errors in his tuning but =
thought it was unnecessary. Turns out he was actually more accurate in =
octave 7 than me.

I even admitted on Pianotech once that I was embarrassed I had opposed =
electronic tuning.
It is true you should tune aurally frequently to keep up your aural =
skills. I usually tune aurally on good pianos once or twice a week. It's =
even fun on a good piano.=20

I dissappointed with many of the topics on Pianotech. Many are too =
petty. I have some ideas in mind but am reluctant to post. What if I'm =
wrong or what if I get blasted. I've already experienced unexpected =
response from some topics I've posted. I have a belief the Schwander =
grand type repetition spring is better than the Steinway butterfly type. =
Most disagreed with me and most were polite but a few put me down. Maybe =
that's because on this media we are mostly anonymous.=20

I have a 68-year-old brother in Omaha who came on line recently. We =
e-mail often. He's still afraid of the computer but learning bit by bit. =

I liked your topic "Is a crutch a tool."

Sy Zabrocki--RPT
only4zab@imt.net