why charge more? was Re: "Rud. Ibach Sohn"

Aaron Bousel abousel@rocler.qc.ca
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 22:15:55 -0500

The other day I had someone here to  give me a price on some painting and
plastering work on my house.  He told me that he charges $18/hr. for
painting and $21/hr. for plastering.  It didn't occur to me that this was
unethical.  Repairing and regulating a birdcage action is different can of
worms (and I do mean can of worms) from working on a standard vertical
action.  Anyway, the orginal info is not complete enough for me to draw a
conclusion.  Was the quote per hour open ended, or was there some idea given
to the customer as to how many hours could be involved?

>Without getting into too much detail, as I think whath I am about to say
>should be limited to the PTG-L page, but I am curious as to why you need to
>cover your back side by  charging more money per hour to work on a bird cage,
>than on a regular piano? Do you all of a sudden have to use mental resources
>greater than what you are accustomed to to do the work on this kind of piano,
>or are you purposely trying to make the poor owner of the piano pay more
>because she made an unwise diecision to have the instrument worked on by you?
>  This, I think, is an ethical question we all need to consider. (see the
>PTG-l page for more on this topic).
>
>Willem Blees RPT
>St. Louis

Aaron