S & S Struts

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 20:23:53 -0500

Joel asks;

>Have you ever experienced a _hum_ on certain notes of a Steinway B or D
>and found that holding one of the plate struts in the bass area (first
>or second strut from the bass side) stops the hum?

>What have you done about it?

     The first thing to remember, is to not tell anybody;  that just makes it
worse.  Customers that have never heard the "hum" will, if told , soon begin
to hear nothing but hum and it will begin to bug the hell out of them. By
Christmas, it will all be HUMBUG!! (:)}}}}

     I have seen this  problem in the Yamaha C7's.  Resolved one case by
lowering all the nosebolts about .010".  This had no effect on a similar
resonance in a Steinway B.

Regards,
Ed Foote
Precision Piano Works