MANNERS AND PUZZLES

oorebeek oorebeek@euronet.nl
Sat, 09 Nov 1996 20:18:26 +0200

Joel Rappaport writes:
>Andr=E9, Bill and List:
>
>I think the confusion in Andr=E9's message is not the McLube, but by
>"bridge" he means the top of the balancier or repetition lever near the
>top of the jack.  Andr=E9, is this correct?  We American technicians tend
>to think of the bridge as those things glued onto the soundboard.
>Andr=E9, you can see how that would raise questions about improving
>repetition and weighting.
>
>I'll have to respectfully disagree with Bill about quotes going to the
>bottom of the post.  I may be wrong (won't be the first time), but it
>makes more sense for relatively short comments to go at the top of the
>message with supporting quotes at the bottom for those who do not
>remember the original thoughts.  (see below).  Manners?  Barring
>profanity and spamming which are never welcome here, I think Internet
>manners are still evolving.  Without this evolution, we would still be
>talking Old English which is much closer to the Dutch language; that
>might be more pleasing to Andr=E9!

Andr=E9 writes:

Joel! You are Gentleman,
Thank you for saving my face.
Indeed the language is a barrier for me, and sometimes I use words of =
which I am not 100% or less sure if they are the right words.
I have an Apple computer and the program I use for letter writing and =
bookkeeping is called "Claris". I like it, it is convenient. I like =
it double because I bought it in America, not realizing that it =
performs it's duties in english, great!. In the program is a feature =
called "thesaurus" or something like that and it is of great help to =
me. Number one, there is a spelling check and secondly it offers the =
making of a choice between alternative words. Synonyms(?) I mean.
When I write email, this is not possible anymore so I have to make =
mistakes and stumble and sometimes fall (from grace). To my American =
wife, who usually sits in the other room doing her own computer stuff =
(she is a composer and uses the computer for writing notes, the =
computer is connected with a synthesizer) I occasionnally shout a =
question, but I don't want to bother her too much for it disturbs her =
concentration.
About the repetition lever, I should have known that. Again the Dutch =
have a problem because they have to cope with three foreign languages =
around them : English, German and French.
I sometimes get mixed up in my technical lingo, but with the kind =
help of you piano technical brethren I will die in piece.

I beg you all, have mercy with the nonwits, the halfwits and the =
nitwits! (the word "nitwit" strongly reminds me of the dutch for "not =
knowing" >  niet weten > nit wit... Hey! I told you I was dumb)

About the old english I now nothing at all, I am only 47 years old, =
would it be easyer for dutchies? tell me why please, I am curious.

friendly greetings from:

Andr=E9 Oorebeek
CONCERT PIANO SERVICE
Amsterdam, the Netherlands