Baked piano

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Fri, 08 Nov 1996 13:27:03 -0700 (mst)

First thing, check the lid catch.  Then if there are 3 lid hinge pins,
check them.  Next check the lid props.  The normal thing that happens
is that the wood shrinks and screws get loose when a piano is subjected
to heat. Sometimes the sostenuto brackets get loose and wrattle. Then
there are always the keystop rail nuts that can get loose.  For
grands that have a hammer rest rail (Yamaha doesn't), they are also
subject to being loose and wrattling

I hope you didn't try to tune the piano out there.  Its
usually counterproductive. It's better to leave it alone, it will
come back in tune in a few days.

Jim Coleman, Sr.