knuckles

Greg & Mary Ellen Newell gnewell@en.com
Thu, 07 Nov 1996 20:50:39 +0000

Greetings and Salutations List,
	I would like to inquire of your great minds how you go about
removing old knuckles for replacement. It seems to me that the only
tool I've ever seen for the purpose always seems to split the wood. A
less than optimum result I'm sure you would agree. The only reslt
I've come up with over the years is to bandsaw the knuckle off and
then slice down the middle of the remaining core followed by chipping
out the remainder. There must be an easier way! Recently I modified
an old Hale center pin pliers to drive out the knuckle from the side
while giving support (opposite jaw) to the other side. This works
when the glue is not too strong but just bends the pliers when the
joint is good. What other alternatives could you suggest  to either
this approach or the traditional JAWS?

			Anticipatingly,   (is that a word?)
				Greg
Greg & Mary Ellen Newell