Keyboard replacement

David Graham U40DCG1@WPO.CSO.NIU.EDU
Thu, 07 Nov 1996 08:42:00 -0600

I have a private customer with a 7'Steinert.  I replaced the action and
rebushed the keys last year.  At that time I also removed the jiffy key
leads that had been installed the last time the hammers were changed.
Since then, it has had a problem with repetittion, with some notes that
will stick randomly when played fast at low volume.  The keys show
signs of having been reweighed at some time in the past, adding to the
already heavy leading that Steinert favored.  The key buttons are
cracking and the front rail notches are about twice the size they should
be, thanks to a poor rebushing job 20 years ago.  I think the cause of the
repetition problem is that the keys are moving in several directions
besides up and down (the balance rail holes are elongated too-I've
already tried to resize them), so I think the best thing to do is replace the
keyboard.  However, I never have, so I would like the benefit of someone
else's experience.  How much work is there to do after you get the keys
back?  Should I have Pianotek  make a new key frame as well, assuming
they do this?  How long does the entire process take?  Any help would
be appreciated.
     Also, anyone have any ideas on how to remove CA glue from the
topside of a keytop?  A customer has some keys with a bit of CA on
them.  Can the plastic be sanded slightly and then buffed?
David Graham
dgraham@niu.edu