Single vs. three string unisons

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Wed, 06 Nov 1996 12:43:23 -0700 (mst)

Dear Joel:

I did do the test where I use a length of soft felt placed lengthwise
between two strings of a unison to see if there was a difference.  I
could not see that the weight of the rubber mutes was a factor.

I believe that the cause has to do with string coupling at the bridge.
There is a book of five lectures on "The Acoustics Of The Piano" which is
edited by Anders Askenfelt.  It is publication #64 of the Royal
Swedish Academy of Music.  This was done in Stockholm in 1990.  One
of the lectures deals with string coupling at the bridge.  I don't
understand all I know about coupling, but it seems to me that here is
where the cause of the difference between single string and full unison
frequencies occurs.

I must emphasize that there is little difference of freq., but still some;
and, it is most noticeable from around notes 49 to around 66.

A simple test, to show that a rubber mute does take on hammer energy, is to
merely touch the rubber mute while a string is struck.  If you feel any-
thing, that is energy.  A mute is a damper, felt is a damper. fingers can
be used as dampers.  I liked Dave Porritt's comment about all 3 strings
receiving the same hammer energy.  The two damped strings just
refuse to get in line with the free string.

Jim Coleman, Sr.