offtrack pianotech list

Ron Torrella torrella@umich.edu
Mon, 04 Nov 1996 17:20:53 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 4 Nov 1996, Daryl Matthies wrote:

> Isn't this mailing list for those who wish to learn from others and to
> help each other out on technical issues concerning piano tuning, repair
> and rebuilding?

Strictly speaking, pianotech was started as a benefit for college and
university technicians [aka CAUT] to maintain contact among them....to
discuss college/university-related issues as they relate to the
maintenance and control of pianos.  As I understand it, anyhow....and I
was included on the original mailing list that originate at SUNY, thanks
to Tom McNeil (was that long ago, or what?).

> If this is true, then why these postings about unrelated topics,
> especially computers?  There are many lists to subscribe to for that
> purpose.  Please don't tell us to just hit the delete key.  That's
> irrelevant.

As we become more computer-bound (to each other), things related to
computers become more relevant....but you *do* have a point about some
things getting to be rather...annoying.  But then, there's that delete
key. (and it's *quite* relevant)  Matter of fact, that post about search
engines came in quite handy this morning...

> I don't want to make this sound like I'm complaining (or am I), I just
> feel that listserv, listproc, or majordomo list members should adhere to
> the standards that they are set up for.

I think they [we] are...

> Many list members write or reply frequently and that's great.  I wish I
> had more time to do that, but my piano business keeps me just that,
> BUSY.

Would that we all were so well-endowed!

I haven't been jumping up and down about how folks are posting full-length
quotes (and no, I don't issue citations for same) because it ain't worth
the effort to carp about something I can control ....

[DELETE]

Have a great day and DON'T FORGET TO VOTE TOMORROW!!!!!!!!

			       Ron Torrella
			Assistant Piano Technician
			  University of Michigan
			      School of Music