Tuning exam unisons, was: Odd partial

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Sun, 03 Nov 1996 20:19:51 -0700 (mst)

Dear Gina:

May I answer your question below?  I was very instrumental in the early
stages of the Exam procedure.  One of our main goals was to make the
exam more objective instead of subjective.  We put in the
requirement of measuring at least 3 unisons so that it would be impossible
for an examiner to do a favor to an examinee and say:  "They sound
good to me, therefore you get 100%.  It also helps us build data history
in case we decide to change the tolerances.

Since the examinee is to tune the unisons by ear, he should be able
to make them sound good first.  If he doesn't, they will be measured.  If
he does, they won't need to be measured.  If all of them sound good, the
3 chosen to be measured will pass, guaranteed, at least at our present
tolerance levels.

Jim Coleman, Sr.