Bronze screen??

PIANOBIZ@aol.com PIANOBIZ@aol.com
Sun, 03 Nov 1996 17:18:37 -0500

Jim
We are working on an 'A' with those right now ourselves.  The screens on ours
look like copper. They are found under the front duplexes, right?  It looks
like someone put a gasket compound like permatex around their perimeter.  I
guess this was to glue the screens in place.  It worked.
I was thinking that they provide a friction surface for the duplexes, sort of
to keep them from moving toward the tuning pins.  I bet you're going to leave
them in even if you don't know exactly what they do.  :)
David Sanderson
Littleton, MA
Pianobiz@aol.com

<<  I can think of two possible, i.e. 1. to provide a solid foundation for
each
 section while providing a 'vibration break' due to the composition of the
 bronze. 2. to provide a better glue surface to plate and bar section.  These
 answers are pure speculation on my part as I don't have the foggiest notion
 of what they really are for.
   Each of the sections are in great shape and will be cleaned up and
 reinstalled in the course of the rebuild.
   Any other ideas, guesses, or correct answers ?
  Jim Bryant (FL)