single vs. three string unisons

Dean L. Reyburn, RPT dean@reyburn.com
Fri, 01 Nov 1996 22:09:11 -0400

Bill Maxim writes;
>At the North Carolina Conference this past weekend, Dean Reyburn
>was demonstrating the Cybertuner when the question was raised.  We
>experimented with it and after tuning a unison, single strings
>consistently showed a few hundredths of a cent sharper than did the
>unison with the mutes pulled out.

I was only able to do a short demo of this in the class because of time
but I seem to remember RCT showed up a difference about the same as Jim's
results did, about .5 or .6 cents or so.

>It made me a believer, but I cannot use this information in any
>practical way.  So far as I am concerned, it is purely academic,
>such a nit-picking detail that there is no need for me to try to
>apply it to my tuning.

There is some practical application here.  The difference between the
single string and the unison is often several tenths of a cent, well
within the ability of a good aural tuner.  Jim Coleman Sr. has found
that this phenomenon primarily shows up in the midrange, and is not as
noticable in the treble or bass. If one mutes up the whole piano
and tunes either aurally or to a visual tuning device (or both) and
then unmutes and tunes unisions on 88 notes, it seems likely to me that
some of the octaves will change stretch, especially those which have one
note in the midrange and another outside.

At the "Tune-Off in Chicago" Jim used Reyburn CyberTuner's "overpull"
cents offset window to compensate for it.

An aural tuner could compensate for this by stretching the octaves
going down into the bass just slightly since the midrange will fall
a bit after the unisons are tuned.  The treble also might not need as
much stretch as you would otherwise assume.  Maybe some aural tuners
already compensate for this automatcially from many years of practice?

The other answer would be to tune the midrange, then tune the unisons
perfect, THEN tune up and down from the unmuted midrange.  I think that
was one of Virgil's points in very fine concert tuning; check the piano
with all unisons sounding.

-Dean

 Dean L. Reyburn, RPT
 2695 Indian Lakes Road