Broken Agraffe

Travis Gordy tgordy@fullnet.net
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 23:23:56 -0600

Jeff Stickney wrote:

> Dear List:
>         I was called recently to appraise a 1928 Steinway L.  It is in very
> good condition relative to it's age, except that the agraffe on the lowest A
> was broken.  The problem is that whoever tried to remove the remaining piece
> of agraffe was either trying to use an EZ-out or drill the agraffe itself
> out, and in the process drilled a hole next to the agraffe in the plate.
> They must have given up at this point because that's how it remains - with
> no low A.
>         The question is:  How would this situation be best dealt with?
> Drill out the whole mess, tap it, install an insert with an inner thread
> matching the thread of the appropriate agraffe?  If so, should the insert be
> epoxied in place?  Where would I find such an insert?  Could the "mess" be
> drilled out by hand or would I need a drill press to keep it clean?
>         Anyone with experience here?  Any other ideas are welcome.  Thanks!
> Jeff Stickney, RPT
> University of Montana
> jpage@selway.umt.edu

Dear Jeff:

I may be able to help you.  If you can manage to drill the plate for a
3/8-24 tap (size Q drill bit), I can send you an insert that will fit
that hole and is threaded inside for 1/4 inch agraffes I ordered from
Schaff.  I don't think you can find an insert in the catalogs that will
fill your need.

I have the inserts because an agraffe simply stripped out of a Kimball
grand (about 1975 vintage) at a college I tune for.  They bought the
piano new.  It was apparent that some material (perhaps an epozy)had
been used to repair the hole.  It lasted 15 or 20 years. I have a friend
who owns a machine shop.  He could not find an insert in his catalogs
that would answer my need so he machined several for me (also provided a
size Q drill bit).  I only needed one insert but while he was set up he
made some extras.  In 45 years I have only needed one, and do not
anticipate needing another.  Will be happy to give you one IF you can
use it. The same offer applies to any of you technicians reading this,
but please have the use for it and know you will use it before asking
for it.  The supply is not unlimited.  My friend made them at no charge,
and I returned the favor by tuning his wifes S&S L, no charge.  I am
ahead, so far.

Travis Gordy