Damper harmonics -Reply....

Richard Adkins RADKINS@coe.edu
Thu, 28 Mar 1996 15:50:53 -0600

Dennis....

   It may not be the speaking length of the string that's ringing....on
one of our D's on the same note you mention it was the portion
of the string between the bridge and hitch pin...there's a "portal"
in the plate there where there is supposed to be stringing mute
cloth....even with the stringing cloth down there it was still ringing....try
damping that section of the strings to see if its the culprit....i had a lot of
fun trying to quiet that ring too....until i found it....!!!!  I just used another
strip of fresh muting cloth down there...and it was gone!
assuming we're talking about the same thing....

good luck
Rich A.
Coe College Music Dept.
>>> Dennis Johnson <johnsond@stolaf.edu> 03/28/96 03:16pm >>>
I've got a frustrating harmonic that won't go away. On one of the
performance S&S D's the 8th partial of F2 (right above the break)
continues to sing whenever you play F5. However, that damper could
not be doing its job of muting F2 any better. The felt is seated perfectly
and is not too long or too short, IMO.  Clearly, it is sitting on that particular
node and is quite audible once you start listening for it. I have seen this
sort of problem before, but it was always so subtle that no one ever
complained. In this case, even a few students have noticed it.  I suppose
I could voice down the treble some around the 5th octave, but they kind
of like it as it is, and it is not excessively bright. Anyone have a
suggestion?

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College johnsond@stolaf.edu djohn@skypoint.com