WD-40 As An Action Lubricant?

Don Mannino 74473.624@compuserve.com
Tue, 26 Mar 1996 10:10:43 -0500 (EST)

Arnold Schmidt wrote:

>>I know that Protec and my old standby, naptha and silicone, are better
lubricants, but WD-40 is considerably cheaper than the first, and more
available than the second, in a pinch, so would it work, or would it make
a "big mess?" <<

Big mess is a good way to put it.

Under certain conditions, WD-40 will actually corrode some metals. The result is
good old green "vertigris" as we commonly call it.  In addition, WD-40 does not
maintain its low viscosity. It gums up pretty badly over time.  You can see this
yourself by observing the nozzle of a lightly used WD-40 spray can after a year
or two - full of collected dust and dirt, and quite gummy.

Don Mannino RPT
74473.624@compuserve.com