Practice Clavier

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Sat, 23 Mar 1996 18:41:05 -0700

Hi Everyone...

Things seem AWFULLY quiet in here (considering there are now 315 subscribers
to this list!) so if you don't mind I'll describe a keyboard I was given
yesterday even if it isn't really a "piano".  I hope no one minds if I
ramble... it's been a LONG winter (still snowing on March 23!) and I'm
getting cabin fever.

The keyboard in question is a "Virgil 'Perfected' Practice Clavier" (New
York), and according to the woman who gave it to me it was used by concert
pianists while they were travelling by train earlier this century. It is
basically all original as near as I can tell except for the plastic keytops
(yuck!) which I would guess to be about 50 years old. It is complete except
for one ebony sharp and the pointer which showed the adjustment for the
"tension"  (in ounces of course) although the original string and traveller
are there. Most of the felt inside is eaten, worn or missing. The mahogany
case is in fairly sad but restorable shape and the top is split in two, but
all the parts are there and the decals and inside papers with regulation
adjustment information are still in fair condition. It sits on two fold-out
legs with their original hardware.

It appears to be fairly well-made of solid woods and has 88 keys with
"stops" at each end of the keyboard to turn on the "up-click" and
"downclick" (adjustable on each key) and a handle above the middle of the
keyboard which you turn to adjust the "tension" from off to 20 OUNCES by
pressing a bar against springs mounted on each key.

The paper "warrantee" sticker inside the lid identifies it as being made by
the "Virgil Practice Clavier Company, 11 West 22nd St, NY and is serial
number 7668 dated Jan, 1907.

I've never seen one like this, so would anyone know if it has (or will have)
any value other than for what it is? Whatever happened to the company and
was this a "popular" product? How much restoration should I give it? As it
will be a legitimate antique in ten years, would it be prudent to treat it
as an antique and just carefully clean up the dust (possibly vacuuming up
Rubenstein's dandruff!), glue the broken case pieces back together and
preserve it as part of a collection?  Or, should it just be made playable
and used for its original purpose?

One of my friends suggested I "MIDI" it, but I'm an historical/acoustical
kinda guy! <g>

I'd like to explain why I have this keyboard though. I'd like to restore it
so I can *use* it as my piano is upstairs in the day-home my wife runs and I
can never get in any practice time. There are often kids here until 11:30 at
night (sleeping I hope) so that rules out evening practice too. BTW, that
old (1884) Steinway cottage piano gets a real workout from the kids! It also
gives us a chance to teach them respect for the piano since it is right
there and not out-of-sight and they get to sit with me on the duet bench
when I DO get a chance to play it.

It's delightful to watch a two-year-old who can barely talk sit down and try
to get different sounds of the piano rather than just banging on it!  Who
knows... maybe early exposure to a good piano may spark something!

At any rate, anyone who has any information and would rather not reply to
the list can EMail me privately. I'd appreciate any response.

                John

John Musselwhite, RPT
Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com