Setting Pins

Pianotoone@aol.com Pianotoone@aol.com
Fri, 15 Mar 1996 14:12:41 -0500

>Keith, my struggle with piano tuning is not with establishing
>temperaments, intervals, etc, but with setting pins--that is, hammer
>technique.
>     The study and experimentation which I have done in producing the
>book DIFFERENT STROKES, has helped me to do better tuning, more quickly,
>and have the results last well.
>
>     Ken Burton
>     Calgary, Alberta

I have found my best pin setting comes from several sharp blows to the key
after you have it where you want it.  If you have an electronic measuring
device.  You can actually watch the pitch fall as you deliver the blows.
 Soon you will know how much above the final pitch to pull, so the sharp
blows will take it to where it should be.  Obviously this is different on
every piano.  Just one man's opinion.  As always I am ready to learn

Dick
Marshall,MI