re 88 note piano question

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 21:13:50 -0500

Wim asks;
"When and where did the 88 note piano first come into being,"

Wim as to modern 88 note pianos, as we know them, I'm not sure where they
came into being, but just guessing for this country, I would say Steinway or
Chickering.  Erard made pianos of various number of notes, in both England
and France right at the end of the 1700's.  Dysen made a 93 note piano in
1850, He called it the worst thing to happen to music since Chopin(at least I
think he said Chopin).

  WIM asks; "and why 88?"
  My best guess would be that based on practical considerations, i.e. finger
size, and arm spread the number 88 works best without sliding up and down on
the bench.
  Although my tone was rather light my premise was a serious one as to
construction dictating size.

WIM asks; "Why did Steinway make 85 note pianos?"
Perhaps because the number of black and white keys worked out best that way.
Since it would be akward to stop on a black key. By the way have you ever
noticed a treble bridge end slanting back toward the middle away from the
rim? Chickering tried using this as a method of keeping  bridge contact in a
more responsive area of the board away from the rim.

 WIM Asks;  "Did the musicians ask for 88 notes,

Musicians ask for everything!! For instance "I want the touch to be lighter
and more resistant????" (no, I packed up my tools and left)

WIM Asks; "or did the engeneers put them there?"
No the engineers/entrepenuers put them there as they could fully support
them.
Engeneers are graduates of Ga. Tech. and as far as I know we haven't been
beseiged by any in Piano Design.

This subject might make good grist for the Journal. It would give Steve Brady
something to do and possibly keep him out of mischief.
Jim Bryant