piano recommendation

Wally Wilson UniversityofCharleston
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 19:54:15 -0400 (EDT)

>Another technician mentioned using a 5 gallong humidifier plugged into the
humidistat.  That might work if the
>amperage was not more than the humdistat is made to handle.

Since we service a concert grand kept in less than ideal conditions for a
state symphony, I'm interested in what happens when the piano is removed
from the humidified area for a concert.  I'm not arguing the notion of doing
it: and in some circumstances such as undependability of personnel to
monitor the humidifier on a dampp-chaser, the humidifier might be a wise
choice.  And I am pro dampp-chaser.  But a concert piano is unique in that
it doesn't remain in its storage state for rehearsals and concerts.  My
concern about either method is this:  when you put the piano backstage & on
stage for rehearsals/ concert, does the piano then go through radical
changes in the action and in the tuning?  My guess is it depends on how
quickly the humidity is lost in the soundboard and in the critical areas of
the action. Please -- some feedback from those who have tried to maintain
humidity level on a concert piano.
Wally Wilson