piano recommendation

Fred Yonley fyonley@usa.pipeline.com
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 15:37:05 +0000 (GMT)

A complete humidity system would be the best choice.  When they move the
piano and it is turned on its side, there is the problem of the water in
the humidifier.  The movers are not going to want to fool with emptying it
each time they move it off the stage.  Another technician mentioned using a
5 gallong humidifier plugged into the humidistat.  That might work if the
amperage was not more than the humdistat is made to handle.  The
dehumifiers getting left unplugged is a worry especially in the humid time
of year.  In the last month with the dryer air from the heating system was
present, I doubt if the rods would have been on much anyway. I believe that
when the piano is moved off the stage that it is too far from an electrical
outlet to make plugging it in a real possibility.   With all the unplugging
perhaps it would be best not to use the rods. I haven't decided yet on that
matter.

The dehumidifiers and humidistat were originally installed because the
piano was going sharp.  I got tired of lowering the pitch every time.
Recently the problem has been that I have had to raise pitch each time.
The dehumidifiers do not cause excessive dryness as long as they have the
humdistat to govern them.  It is better to have a piano's humidity
fluctuating between say 35 and 55% relative humidity than to have it going
from 35 to 75%.  The worst humidity situation  for a soundboard as I
understand it is one where the board is subjected to a high degree of
change.

Thanks for your input.

F. Yonley