Otto Higel Co

Laurence Beach lbeach@sfu.ca
Sun, 10 Mar 1996 20:37:53 -0800 (PST)

Dear Pianotech people:

Actually, the subject maybe should have been Henry Herbert player piano.
Anyway, I was called to tune one of these the other day.  It was about
110 cents flat.  The first thing I did after removing the action and such
was to dab a drop of protech at each bearing point on the V-bar.  At
first I was timid and only raised the pitch up to 80 cents flat.
However, I discovered much to my delight, that protech worked so well
that I would raise it to -50 cents flat.  I never heard one ping of a
string breaking from its bearing point.  Considering I hear this on new
pianos even, when I have to pitch raise them, that was quite remarkable.

As for the piano itself, which was made in the very early 20th century,
it seems in remarkably good shape, if no work has been done on it for
quite some time.  It is very dirty inside, and the action generally
worn.  The tuning pins, although not tight like a new piano, were
reasonably tight to hold the pitch.  Other than the tuning, the first
thing that is necessary it to replace the hammers.  My question is, is it
worth it?  Replacing the hammers would go a long way to restoring the
tone, although the strings probably should also be replaced because the
bass strings are still the steel type.  I gather that the owners don't
really want to spend too much on the piano.

I also have a second question.  When I pitch raised, no strings broke,
and the piano seemed to respond well.  The pitch droped between 20 to 30
cents during the pitch raise of basically 50 or 60 cents.  I felt this
was acceptable, since the drop was quite even.  How safe is it to raise
the pitch to A440?  Is there any way I can find out the original standard
for the pitch of this piano?  Thanks in advance for your input!

Laurence Beach
Vancouver BC
Canada.