Teacher discounts

Charles Ball ckball@mail.utexas.edu
Sat, 09 Mar 1996 18:06:55 -0600

At 06:59 AM 3/9/96 -0700, you wrote:
Greetings Jim,

You have broached a topic of current concern to me, and just this week I
have reached a opposite conclusion, i.e. I will discontinue all discounts
after this year; however, our circumstances may be quite different. I work
full-time at the University of Texas School of Music, but do a signficant
amount of private work.

Currently, I typically run four or five weeks behind in scheduling this
work. Therefore, I do not need to offer discounts in order to attract
work--such offerings are quite gratuitious.

I have become aware that the teachers to whom I offer discounts are the ones
who request and expect them; they usually will make some sort of negative
comment about my quoted fees for additional work. These individuals appear
to be more affulent than I am, and seldom have their pianos tuned regularly,
twice a year or more.

>__ 1. Do you normally provide discounts for piano teachers?

    Sometimes, when requested.

>__ 2. If "yes", is it only because they are teachers - not
>      based on referrals?

    Basically.

>__ 3. Do you provide discounts proportional to number of referrals?

    No.

>__ 4. Do you normally provide discounts for multiple pianos?

    Sometimes, when requested.

>__ 5. What number of pianos qualifies as 'multiple' (2,5,10, etc.)?

    Two.

>__ 6. Are discounts compounded for teachers with multiple pianos?
>        (teacher=discount, teacher w/2 pianos=bigger discount)

    Not usually.

>__ 7. Are additional discounts provided for service frequency?

    Sometimes.

>__ 8. Are discounts based on [P]ercentage, or fixed [D]ollar amount?

    Fixed.

>__ 9. [Discuss] Any variation on type of service, or other 'perks'
>      provided to teachers?

    None provided, except, that if they are an old and loyal client,     I
will sometimes make an emergency service call at little or no
    cost.

>__ 10.[Discuss] Other considerations I may have overlooked.

Good luck,

Charles Ball