Newbie

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Thu, 07 Mar 1996 11:06:36 -0500 (EST)

Hi, Lee. The dynamic duo of Helmuth Kranich and Jacques Bach (great name,
huh?) certainly produced some strange instruments. Bach was essentially a
wood and cabinet man, and Kranich was the technician and the driving force
behind the company. Considering the quality of their instruments, I always
found it incerdible that Helmuth Kranich learned piano-making in the fac-
tories of Schomacker and Steinway! BTW, one of the great innovations attri-
buted to K&B, was the elimination of the una corda shifting mechanism on
their grands, which they replaced with a hinged hammer rail that was lift-
ed by means of the LH pedal. Class all the way! And you thought I was kid-
ding about the nitro!

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net