Drifting Jacks

Dave Swartz, RPT dms2000@PioneerPlanet.infi.net
Tue, 05 Mar 1996 22:13:34 -0500 (EST)

At 01:11 PM 3/5/96 -0700, you wrote:
>>That is an incompetent repair.  The way to fix a rubbing jack is to tap on
>>top of the jack while supporting the whippen arm.  This is best accomplished
>>with the whippen out of the piano.  The effect is to slightly bend the
>>centerpin.   Either that or fry it with a blowtorch.
>
>Correct. IF the pinning is correct to start with. Make sure it's tight in
>the birdseye (sp?) and snug but free in the felt bushings. The jack could
>also be
>drifting because the birdseye is worn and there is space allowing the jack
>to drift.
>
>If that's the case, short of replacing the jacks, I don't know what the
>repair would be.
>

>_____________________________________
>Avery Todd, RPT
>School of Music
>University of Houston
>atodd@uh.edu

        Should the jack be drifting because the birdseye is worn and a space
is present allowing the jack to drift...try this.  Spray correct size pin
(should be nice and tight) with Slide All (Elmer's) which is a dry teflon in
aerosol form.  Insert pin in birdseye. Use C/A glue (thin viscosity),
holding the pin in the proper cylyndrical position.  Once the C/A has cured,
the pin may be removed.  The dry teflon will prohibit the glue from adhering
to the pin and your birdseye is now like new! Proceed with the rest of the
operation.