Customer ripped off?

Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Sun, 03 Mar 1996 21:01:09 -0600

>Bobby of Tuscumbia, AL posted:
>I had a situation this week involving a Whitney spinet.  The lady said when
>she called that "it looks rusty back in there."  When I got there, she said
>she paid $5K for the spinet, "new," in the early 80's...

Sorry to hear about that price...ouch.

>...THE POINT:  To cap the stack, one of the new-looking bass strings was
>brought around the left side of the pin to the lower-left of the string, and
>on up across to its pin.  MY QUESTION as one new to "teching":  Is this type
>of stringing some arcane solution to a problem?  I've never heard of such
>before, although I have seen sloppy, hacky work.

I've never heard of what you're describing as a standard technique myself.
Sometimes a string will be borrowed from a neighbor and rerouted as a
temporary fix when broken strings are encountered and no replacements are
available.

Keith McGavern, RPT
kam544@ionet.net
Oklahoma Baptist University