Earplugs to Hearing Loss

Newton Hunt nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu
Sun, 03 Mar 1996 12:49:06 -0500

I am now using foam type ear plugs I get from Harbor Fraight, 24 set for $5.00.
For years I have been a soft bloow, semi hard blow tuner because the super hard
blow is painful to my ears.  I tuned seven pianos from 8:00 to 1:00 (not by
choice I assure you) and found I was far less tired because I used plugs.

At this point I find that I tune better (i.e. more stable) with than without
plugs.  No one has asked me why I use plugs but if they do I will say that I
can tune better, with less fatigue, faster, and more stablely with than
without.

I have found that the SAT helps in the high treble.  I know how much stretch I
would like to have in the higher octaves so I am looking at the second partial
of the lower and the first of the upper note.  I did with when I used no plugs
as well since the SAT wants to stretch more than I like in the top half octave.

I have also found that I dislike tunings where I have a C6 value much above 5.5
cents.  I just do not loke C8 above 30 or 35 cents.  I have found no argument
with the SAT's values for low bass and middle section, except when I get A4
values above 7 cents.

I like to use the foam plugs because I loose things, like my marbles, and when
they no longer expand quickly I throw them out and get another pair.  I have
thought of the fitted plugs, but I will loose them and be out more than a tune
fee.

Ear plugs are essential for sanity, health, longevity, job security, financial
gain, filtering extrainious noises like a load in and stage activity.

I have found that I can tune more solid unisons because I cannot hear the
distracting beats of higher harmonics and noises from the duplex scales.  After
tuning I check without plugs and when I find a busy unison 99% of the time it
cannot be improved, go figure.

I don't think that plugs are a matter of choice, but a matter of survival.

      Newton
      nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu