Tuning Lever Tip Repair

PIANOBIZ@aol.com PIANOBIZ@aol.com
Thu, 29 Feb 1996 20:49:37 -0500

To any who have had a favorite tip break off at the threads:

I recently heard two technician friends bemoaning the loss of their favorite
tuning lever because the tip snapped off when it broke at the threaded end of
the extension shaft.  I suggested they let me bring them to a machinist in my
building and he was able to remove the broken off plug from the tip and cut
new threads on the shaft.

The shaft is cut with a tapered pipe thread, which I guess is a bit unusual
and presented him with a challenge to match.  He was able to remove the
broken off plug from the tip and to retap the threads on the shank, to the
glee of my fellow techs.  I asked if he would be willing to do more for
anybody else who may find themselves in the same boat. He said sure!

So, if you have a machinist to do it around your area fine, but if you would
like a person to take care of it for you, enclose twenty dollars and I'll
take it over to him and ship it back to you.   Send me as few parts as
possible.  In other words if it is an extension lever don't send the handle
too, just the tip and the removable extension rod.

If you're like me you really get attached to these things.  I can't imagine
losing my favorite tuning lever.  Do you all call it a tuning hammer?  I
wonder if that's why these two guys lost theirs?

David Sanderson
Sanderson Piano Services
410 Great Road, Suite A-4
Littleton, MA 01460
Tel:  (508) 486-0650  Fax: (508) 486-0694
Pianobiz@aol.com