Re; Carpeted Vibrations

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Fri, 28 Jun 1996 19:07:35 -0600

>      Also; Consider amplification of the instruments. A set of microphones
>and speakers might allow you to control the brilliance a bit... and makes for
>good theater, too. (Bustling sound engineers tweaking microphones, shouts of
>"TESTING! Testing! testing!", loud hums and squeals followed by static
>crackles & hisses... keeps the audience focused and interested, too.)

Microphones and speakers might be fine for some shows, but I shudder at the
thought of artificial reinforcement on a classical stage regardless of the
acoustic problems of a hall (or a piano).

In these days of high amplification and high quality stage sound systems
people tend to forget that acoustic music has its own "flavour". It's one
thing to use  organic means such as reflective barriers to enhance the
sound, but quite another to add the cold, impersonal touch of electronics to
the mix IMO.

			John

John Musselwhite, RPT
Calgary, Alberta Canada