whippen weightlessness

Don Mannino 74473.624@CompuServe.COM
Fri, 28 Jun 1996 16:07:43 -0400 (EDT)

Ben Treuhaft wrote:

>>When the grand whippen has a spring at the flange, how does that figure
in weighing off?  I'm working on a Korean grand that seems to have
insufficient upweight because of those buggers.  Hamburg Steinway uses
them too, so there must be something good about them.  Any hints out there?<<

I was recently correct in my method of setting these springs. New system works
great.

With the stack removed and the hammers lifted out of the way, regulate the
springs so that the wippens are just held horizontal by the spring tension. If
you tap the wippen down, it should just lift the wippen back up again.

Ideally the keys should be weighed off after the springs are set and all
friction areas are correct and even.

Don Mannino RPT
74473.624@compuserve.com