Sound Projection and double lids

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Thu, 27 Jun 1996 18:25:58 -0600

At 10:45 AM 27/06/96 -0500, Avery wrote:

>   Since I "sort of" started the discussion about "carpeted acoustics/sound
>projection, I've been following it with great interest. However, I don't
>remember seeing anything about the system at Centennial Auditorium. Is it
>possible to elaborate a little more about it? It sounds interesting. It
>sounds like it's essentially a Wenger type of system done a different way
>with a great flair.

What they (the stage carpenters) have done there is to make very tall (40'?)
slightly curved panels out of oriented strand board (OSB) about 8 feet wide
on a 2x4 and 2x6 frame which are on locking casters. Individually they look
quite ungainly because of their height. These "reflectors" cover the wings
and the rear of the stage and the "teasers" (sides) can be added or removed
to make the stage more or less deep. Additional curved panels are flown from
the grid like a "tormentor" and lowered and locked into position to prevent
the sound from being lost above the stage.  The visual effect of an
orchestra against the panels is absolutely stunning and the sound is
wonderful in that large hall. I've heard the system set up for both
orchestral and solo piano and it works equally well for both.

The advantages of this system over the Wenger are that in halls without a
proscenium stage the entire stage may be used with style rather than having
ugly squareish Wenger panels that look like they belong in a high-school gym
and only isolate a portion of the stage. The panels can be custom designed
for a particular hall, and the "tormentor" panels can be raised and lowered
and to some degree "focussed" to allow for more intimate settings and the
best sound. Since the panels are curved and slightly rough due to the OSB it
would also minimize the unwanted reflections that can occur from the
Wenger's rather unforgiving hardboard surfaces. It's also very quick to set
up considering the size.

The disadvantages are that they are somewhat bulkier and harder to store and
the paint does require periodic touch-up and that's a LOT of not-inexpensive
paint!

>   I'm not familiar with "chroma-key blue". Is it a shade similar to the
>the normal sky-blue backdrops that are sometimes used on stage?

Chroma-key blue is the colour normally used for the effect you see on TV
where a news or weathercaster is in front of a picture or map. Occasionally
they may use a C.K. green if the announcer wears a lot of blue or has very
blue eyes. The chroma-key electronics replace anything the camera sees that
is that colour and replaces it with the signal from another source. The
colour is highly saturated and is intensely blue!

For more information on how this one was designed and built you could
probably contact Don Rutley at the Saskatoon (Saskatchewan) Centennial
Auditorium, at 306-975-7777 voice or 306-975-7804 by fax.

			John

John Musselwhite, RPT
Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com