To cool or not to cool

Avery Todd ATodd@UH.EDU
Wed, 19 Jun 1996 09:54:08 -0500

Hi all,
   I always seem to be asking questions instead of contributing some
answers but maybe others may also learn something from the answers, too.
   I just received a call to tune in a church and was asked whether the
air- conditioning should be on or off (personal comfort aside, of course).
I've wondered about this many times. My, perhaps idealistic thought is, if
the piano is tuned during the week with the air on and enough time to
stabilize, would it have a good chance of returning (more or less) to that
tuning when the air is next turned on for the Sunday service? Does it make
any real difference?
   This particular tuning is being done for a concert by a group called The
Continental Singers. I usually try to tune for a concert as close to
performance time as possible but this time it will have to be done on
Tuesday for a Friday concert.
   Some churches, especially large ones, don't really want to turn on the
air because of the cost. I can understand that, but in a climate like
Houston, I was just wondering if it would make any appreciable difference
in a situation like the above?
   Opinions/experiences appreciated. Thanks again.

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-4893