Old Chickering

DAN G. LITWIN 71213.1421@CompuServe.COM
Wed, 19 Jun 1996 01:26:13 -0400 (EDT)

On 6/18/96 Michael Wathen said:

>I understand that there was recently some discussion about old
>Chickerings.  I have a 6'5" one in my garage.  I believe its
>serial number puts it at about 1895.  It is a massive instrument.
>
>It has brass hammer flanges that are bushed.  The hammer shank
>recieves the pin in wood and close to that point on the hammer
>shank is the drop screw.  The flange rail is metal embedded in a
>larger wood rail.  The flanges are secured with machine screws.
>
>I am at a lost with what to do.

Reply:

I know a technician (not on-line) who has a customer with the exact same old
Chickering you describe.  Wicked bass tone on that one.  As this other
technician's occasional underling, some time back I helped him measure the piano
and action for specifications to build an *entire new action* via Renner USA.
It has been done and has worked out.  The cost was very high, but the customer
was not concerned.  It is a very radical instrument now.

Tonight, I called my technician friend to ask him about your situation.  He says
that you will only waste your time trying to make it work any other way (some
mutterings about not being able to control the friction in the flanges).  He
also said that if you prefer, you could go through Pianotek instead.  Of course,
Renner USA will remember the whole ordeal and may be able to be of greater
assistance, having been through it once before.

Dan Litwin, Jerk Tuning
San Diego Chapter PTG
71213.1421@compuserve.com