Sound board as a Transducer

Don Mannino 74473.624@CompuServe.COM
Mon, 17 Jun 1996 20:08:54 -0400 (EDT)

Don Rose wrote:

>>A sound board fits the definition of  a transducer very well--it changes one
type of vibrational energy into another.<<

I agree completely. This is often misunderstood, because people tend to focus on
what they _hear_ instead of what is actually happening to the energy in the
vibrating system. Since we can hardly hear a bare wire vibrating, but we _can_
hear it when the soundboard is moving, it's easy to get trapped into thinking
that the soundboard is amplifying the sound. Actually it is just transducing it,
as Don Rose said.

The string has a very small area and is extremely inefficient at moving the air
around it. The soundboard takes this motion and changes it into a much smaller
amplitude vibration, but over a much larger area, and is much more efficient at
moving the air.

Don Mannino