BASS TO TREBLE BRE

PIANOBIZ@aol.com PIANOBIZ@aol.com
Mon, 17 Jun 1996 09:10:30 -0400

On 14 Jun 96 ,Ted Simmons wrote;
I was wondering if anyone has come up with a solution to correct the
situation where the first treble string above the bass-to-treble break in
an upright kind of thunks. It doesn't ring out as clearly as the others
around it.
- Vince Mrykalo reply ------------------------
I have heard of this problem before, and I think it was Lew Herwig who
presented a possible solution.  He suggested adding weight to the low
end (tenor section) of the long bridge with key leads.
Keith MacGavern writes:
>Then I drilled a hole through the backpost in the same vicinity to
>accomodate a wood screw, filed the end of the screw flat to press against
>the hardwood piece, used the screw to apply pressure to the piece of
>hardwood, which applied pressure to the rib, up to the point where the
>sustain returned,

Well Keith, this is a different approach!  The cure always reveals the cause,
if we can properly analyze.  What occurred when the upward pressure was
introduced? More down bearing, crisper termination point, more crown,
anything else? Well yes, increased amplification transferred through the back
posts via this screw.

The approach mentioned by Vince Mrykalo and in an earlier thread by Larry
Fine to load this area by adding weight accomplishes similar results. This
solution causes less down bearing, less crown, and de-emphasizes bridge
termination point.  Yet amplification is increased which makes these items
seem insignificant parts of the solution.

Perhaps then, the added weight, as reported by Vince and earlier by Larry is
also acting as an amplifier in the same manner as the method of  Keith Mc.
and Nick G.

Similarly, in our rescaling we too affect amplification---with string
tension.  A wound bass string bichord has a higher tension level than a plain
wire trichord. The higher tension creates more volume.

So there are some similarities in the proposed solutions which are very
interesting.

David Sanderson
Pianobiz@aol.com