bass to treble break problem

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Sun, 16 Jun 1996 12:16:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 16 Jun 1996, Ted Simmons wrote:

> Vince Mrykalo replied to my question of the thunking string at the
> bass/treble break.
>
> >I have heard of this problem before, and I think it was Lew Herwig who
> >presented a possible solution.  He suggested adding weight to the low
> >end (tenor section) of the long bridge with key leads.
>
> ---------------------------my reply-------------------------------
>
> That's a very interesting solution, Vince.  And we've already got some
> positive statements from several others.  I wonder what the theory behind
> it is and whoever "thunk" (sorry, couldn't help myself) it up?  I'll have
> to give it a try.  Thanks.
>
> Ted Simmons

Hi, Ted. We had a thread on this subject some months back. I believe that
it was Larry Fine who mentioned that in his early years he worked for a
rebuilder who regularly used this kind of weighting with fine-quality
grands he was restoring, apparently with quite good results. It should
be in our archives.

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net