Aftertouch Adjustment

Almida@aol.com Almida@aol.com
Fri, 14 Jun 1996 20:09:58 -0400

I need some help.  I am a pianist not a tech.

I've had three very qualified techs look at my piano (Steinway B 1923,
rebuilt 1995 with Renner parts) and none came up with an answer to what I
felt was a problem.  I have learned a little about actions over the years and
found myself looking more closely at my action (after being completely and
utterly frustrated with my piano).  After some experimentation and talking to
the rebuilder I think I have finally found whats been frustrating me.  We
concluded that there was not enough aftertouch in the action.  So I proceeded
to turn the capstans on all the keys and I think this is solving my problems
with the action.

My question is how do I set the capstan to the proper height?  Do I measure
from the hammers to the string?  If there is a range of correct settings,
what would that be?  Yesterday I went too far so I backed them down some more
and it feels alot better but I'd like to set it to a spec and then see how I
like it.  Are there other adjustments that need to be made due to the changes
I'm making with the capstans?

Thanx in advance
Mitch